Level 2 MBI:TAC training: Deepening for trainers and supervisors
Descriptor: In this deepening training we will aim to create a container within which participants can investigate and deepen their understanding and appreciation of both the mindfulness-based teaching process, and of their own process as they engage with reviewing teaching practice. We will give time both to the content issues that are raised when reviewing teaching (e.g. how to prioritise different elements; distinctions between domains and competence levels; curriculum questions); and process themes (e.g. the vulnerability that is inherent in investigating mindfulness teaching skills; the personal process issues that are triggered by assessing/reviewing teaching).
The skill of reliably discerning competence level takes time and practice. In the first instance, the benchmarked competence level (i.e. an assessment point that has been centrally agreed by a team of experienced MBI:TAC raters), is communicated to the participants in advance of reviewing the clip. Their task is to discern what features within the teaching have led to this assessment outcome. Participants then progress to discerning the competence level, building up the domains gradually and cross checking against established benchmarks.
Week by week, the training will progressively include audio-visual teaching clips that expand the elements of curriculum and domains to systematically build participants’ assessment skills. Participants will be given access each week to a benchmarked assessed teaching clip to review on their own between sessions, and will subsequently be given weekly feedback on their assessment reliability. In this way participants can gradually fine tune their skills in assessing in line with benchmarked assessments.
There will also be training in ways of skilfully offering feedback to supervisees and participants which is both accurate and precise, and is strengths based and encouraging.
Delivery format: 8 x 2 hours zoom weekly sessions with assigned home practice each week
Open to: Practitioners who have completed the level 1 MBI:TAC training and who are in supervisory and/or training roles
Building on the learning aims of the level 1 training this deepening training aims to:
- Build understanding of the structure and meaning of the six competence levels within the MBI:TAC
- Build skills in conducting assessments reliably, through repeated practice in reviewing teaching practice and then cross checking scores against central benchmarks
- Build skills in offering verbal and written feedback which enables transparent understanding of how the assessment point was determined, what teaching strengths and learning needs were observed, and how the teacher could build their skills going forward.
- Embed understanding of ways of approaching competence assessments which ensure good practice is followed by the individual conducting the assessment, and by the organisation within which the assessment is situated
- Develop understanding of skilful and sensitive ways of staging the introduction of the tool through the different phases of teacher training.
- Identify the various lenses we bring to teaching and to offering ourselves and others feedback.